Thursday, June 10, 2010

Can You Meet Me Halfway AKA Hermosillo, Son

So, I never got around to posting about my last trip to Hermosillo, however, I am giving myself an opportunity for redemption.  I will be returning to HMO next week, and this time I plan to take pictures, and find some interesting things to share.  Bear in mind that I do not have a very broad perspective when it comes to Mexican cities, as prior to visiting Sonora's capital, the biggest Mexican city I had seen was Nogales.  Although Nogales does have a (mostly-empty) mall, a Wal-Mart, and, much to David's delight, and Applebee's, I was disappointed to find that it lacked a Sanborns.  Hermosillo, however, did not disappoint. 

Hermosillo renewed my faith in my ability to live in Mexico.  I think it could possibly help transition me a little better than, say, BFMagdalena. It has a Costco.  And a Sears.  And, as I could not contain my excitement about, and therefore almost caused an accident over, it has a Chili's... right across the street from an IHOP.  Which has a children's playplace.  They have the cookie-cutter stucco houses that litter the streets of suburban Phoenix.  Houses which I swore I would never live in, but which now make me want to cry with happiness.  Houses which go for around $400,000 pesos, which wouldn't even buy a garage over here.  And it's a college town.  And it's somewhat landscaped.  And I know I am sounding like a totally superficial, spoiled gringa right now, and I swear to you I'm not, but anything to make the adjustment a little easier is completely welcome.  I complain about the States a lot, and I am unhappy about the way a lot of things are done here, but dammit, it is really all I know, and at least there are other dissenters here like me.  I am so scared of going to Mexico because I am so different -even here.  I'm pretty liberal (especially for AZ), and I just forsee an introverted, attachment-parenting, philosophy-discussing, atheist/UU (if they existed there) non-gossipy girl that cannot for the life of her do anything with her hair white neo-hippie having a hard time fitting in.  But I love my man, and even though it is through his stupidity that we are forced into this situation, I am willing to do what it takes to stand by him.  But he damn well better make it worth it.

Hence the second trip to HMO.  We are going job- & apartment- hunting for him, so we can hopefully start to create our home base there, and he can start to get out of the depression that has been strangling him for the past several months. Back soon with news ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment